Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Top Ten Characters Paula would switch places with for 24 hours


I have a feeling that this might be a more difficult TTT than expected. Mainly because I have to limit my life switching to 24 hours- and really that probably wouldn't be enough time for me to adequately be this character... but here it goes.

1. Lyra Belacqua/Silvertongue from His Dark Materials- So I'll let Lyra keep all the crazy adventuring and getting stolen and saving the world stuff. But if I could just hang out with Iorek Byrnison for 24 hours I would be most pleased. She's a really awesome character, but I am just forever jealous of her hanging out with the Bear King

2. Gertrude from Runaways- This is one of my favorite comic series. And again... don't know if I really want Gertrude's life persay... but she has a psychically linked Velociraptor that adores her and protects her. And I can't even begin to explain how desperately I want a pet raptor. I guess instead of being Gerty for 24 hours... I just wish I could steal Old Lace from her

3. Thursday Next from The Thursday Next series- Alright- finally a character that I'm not just trying to steal their animal companion... Thursday is a literary detective which means she gets to solve lots of really neat mysteries AND SHE GETS TO GO INSIDE OF BOOKS. What makes her really special in her alt. universe is her ability to book jump and other characters try to use her because of it. She gets to hang out with Jane Eyre, Ms. Havisham, and The Queen of Hearts. I just wish I could jump into my favorite book for a day or two

4. Buttercup from The Princess Bride- Just a few words on this one: aaasssss yoouuuuu wisshhhhh

Sidenote: This is surprisingly difficult because it's making me realize how many dystopian/apocalyptic novels I read and how many characters I DON'T want to switch places with....

5. Wendy from Peter Pan- I've always always wanted to escape to Neverland. When I was growing up I was convinced that Peter was going to land on my window sill. If I could just trade spots with Wendy for a day and see the magic that is Neverland- it would be a childhood dream come true

6. Milo from The Phantom Tollbooth- Okay... maybe I wasn't done hanging out with character's companions. Tock is just such a fantastic Watchdog. Also- since Milo's journey really only took him an afternoon- I could visit all the places he did and meet the Princesses of Rhyme and Reason...and eat subtraction soup. and and and... be in yet another book that so completely shaped my childhood

7. Lirael from The Abhorsen Trilogy- Uh oh... doing it again. Moggat and The Disreputable Dog are just really fantastic characters. The series also has a really interesting magic system- and it would be neat to be a necromancer and send evil things back where they belong (but also kind of scary...)

I honestly can't really think of other characters I want to switch with... because as much as I love Katniss from the Hunger Games or Amy from The Passage- I would definitely not want to be them or in their worlds for 24 hours...

What about you guys? What 10 (or 8... or however many) characters would you want to be for a day?

62 comments:

  1. I love that you included Milo & Buttercup on this list! Both would be so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buttercup!!!! Of course! I should have put her on my list! Sigh. And, I totally agree - I loved The Hunger Games, but I couldn't live it for 24 hours. Thursday Next would be pretty neat too - she gets to go inside books! That is the COOLEST thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Milo! I didn't think of that, and now I'm kicking myself for it, lol. We seem to agree that Wendy had it pretty good in Neverland. The one I'd like to switch with the most, though? Sherlock Holmes. Oh yeah. I really liked this week's list, got me thinking. It was tough coming up with 10 characters to switch with! Keep up the great prompts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny our lists are almost identical!! Thursday Next FTW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyra and Wendy! Love that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gaahhh I can't believe I didn't even think about Wendy!! I would definitely love to trade places with her!
    Thursday Next is on my list too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost added Lyra! Love her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this was way harder than I thought it would be. I think I read way too much dystopian haha. But such a fun topic thanks!

    Marissa
    here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am doing this theme next week and had the same problem with my dystopian or supernatural characters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Going to Never Never Land with Peter would be a blast - I'm just not sure I'd be able to cope with being mother to all those Lost Boys, if only for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read The Phantom Tollbooth and love Milo! I also have read Sabriel in the Abhorsen series so now I am excited to keep reading. I am also a fan of Lyra and the His Dark Materials series. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, Buttercup and Wendy are great ones! I really enjoyed this top ten tuesday! So much fun C:

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, how did I forget about Wendy??? I'd LOVE to trade places with Wendy! I want to see Neverland :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also have Lyra. I loved the world Philip Pullman build and I wouldn't mind spending a day there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good choices! Wendy's on mine as well! I can't believe I didn't think to include comics or manga - but that would've been a whole other list!

    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your choices! It was so tough because most of the characters I truly love go through some really tough situations...not exactly loving the thought of being Katniss. Yikes! Great list though! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I found it really hard coming up with 10 too so only 7 characters for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had the same issue with dystopian novels!

    Princess Buttercup FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Buttercup, yes! Still one of my favorite book/movie combos ever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, we actually have someone in common!
    While compiling my list I also realised that there are a great many characters I would not switch places with if you paid me...
    Also, I've never heard of Thursday Next and she sounds ah-may-zing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Princess Buttercup, that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, I did not know most of your choices. the only ones i know are Wendy and Buttercup. I would also love to be them for a day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wendy from Peter Pan is a great choice, as is Milo. I haven't read Thursday Next series, but they sound really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  24. YES to Thursday Next. Those books are insane but 100% entertaining, and Thursday is a great lead.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I chose Buttercup as well! And right? I love so many dystopian books but I was like wait, No way would I want to be in their place!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my! I ALWAYS wanted to be Wendy! Or at least trade spots with her. I used to have a blue nightgown and slippers that I'd wear and pretend I was her. Oh, childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can't believe I didn't think of Wendy! And it would be awesome to be Buttercup. This week was definitely harder than I expected because I realized there are a lot of characters I wouldn't want to switch places with.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lyra and Thursday are awesome choices! Although when it came to being Thursday, I think I'd be quite reluctant to switch back!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have Peter Pan on my list :]

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wendy is a great pick! Who doesn't want to fly? I would! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great idea. First time linking-up and it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Of course, Thursday Next! She gets to do this TTT all the time--perfect! This was harder than I thought, but a great topic. Your list is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved your choice of Milo. I'm not sure I'd want to eat subtraction soup, though haha. I had the same problem as you coming up with characters because all my favorites are horror...not a nice switch.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post. Love your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I loved this post! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I had Milo on my list, too! Great choices. I should have added Buttercup to mine, too.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wendy! Oh my goodness she's one of my favorites. I can't believe I didn't pick her. I love Neverland!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That was harder than I thought. I brainstormed about five, and then I had to figure out the rest as I typed up the post. It was fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wendy would be a good choice! I haven't read His Dark Materials, but I'll have to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have a few characters that I like a lot but would not want to change places with them for even one minute...Lisbeth Salander would fall into this character for me. LOVE some Lisbeth but no thanks...wayyyyyy too intense even for 5 minutes :p

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great choices. Lyra made my list as well. (=

    ReplyDelete
  42. ooh buttercup is a good one. yes, i read a lot of books where not good things happen so i think switching places might not be so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I really like this topic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I did one for the first time in forever! It was fun. Definitely going to start doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lyra was one of my choices too! Frankly, I just want a daemon.

    ReplyDelete
  46. love reading these every week. and there are so many characters I don't want to switch with!

    ReplyDelete
  47. i loved the week! this was a great, creative post :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. I had the same problem re: reading too much dystopia. No I would NOT like to switch places with Katniss Everdeen, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Made it today. Last week's took forever. Twisted it to suit my readers but I think it suits.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Looks like my first try put the wrong link in the listy links above. It has the one from last week on settings. The link name that says "This one" is the one for this week's character question.

    Wendy from Peter Pan, cool choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. This is our first time posting here, and we're excited to participate! Love the Wendy from Peter Pan - never thought of that one! Thanks for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Buttercup! love that one. haha I'm totally the opposite, I want to be a kick-ass dystopian heroine for the day (it's only 24 hours right?) ...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Ah, Princess Buttercup... I do like her.
    I agree, as much as I like Katniss, I wouldn't want to be her.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ahh... Lyra! I wish I'd picked her for my list too =) I remember reading that book and wishing that I had a daemon too =)

    ReplyDelete
  55. great list--it wasn't too hard for me to come up with ten, but I found whole worlds where I'd switch with most anyone in there!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I don't remember too much from Peter Pan, since it has been awhile since I read it or watched it, but what I do remember about Wendy it would be awesome to be her for 24 hours =]

    Good list!
    -Becky
    http://bookbitereviews.blogspot.com/2012/08/top-ten-characters-id-like-to-switch.html

    ReplyDelete
  57. This is our second week participating and it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Looking forward to posting about this topic later today. Thanks, Broke and Bookish!

    ReplyDelete
  59. HOORAY FOR LIRAEL!! I love that series, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Such a great idea!! This is my first time participating in Top Ten Tuesdays and it was so much fun. Maybe next time I'll actually post it on a Tuesday :)

    ~Jess from Alice in Baker Street

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails